Re: [TenTec] QRP mod for TenTec Omni B?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QRP mod for TenTec Omni B?
From: Carl Moreschi <n4py3@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 15:17:31 -0500
I had an Omni A series B and now that you say that I recall my radio would also go down to almost no watts also.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 11/14/2014 2:49 PM, Neil Martinsen-Burrell wrote:
As a follow-up on my message from earlier this week, I hooked my Omni B up
to a dummy load and measured the power out using a DVM and a diode
detector.  Besides verifying that the max power was around 104 watts on
both 40m and 80m, I was able to turn the power down essentially as low as I
wanted just by turning down the DRIVE knob.  I was able to get down
reliably to around 3V peak (approx. 1 watt).  It did not take much turning
of the knob to get down to sqrt(5)*10 = 22.4 volts (approx. 5 watts).

I mistakenly trusted the manual which specified that the DRIVE knob will
only turn the power down to 25 watts.  That does not appear to be the case
on my Omni B.  It is possible that my radio is mis-adjusted or already
modified in some way, but I think that is unlikely as the radio has been
serviced at the factory a few times in its life already.

I didn't hear any of the 80 meter foxes on my low dipole, but I was ready
with just 5 watts to call them back!

-Neil KD0UKC

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Neil Martinsen-Burrell<