Re: [TenTec] 17 Meter Antenna

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 17 Meter Antenna
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 08:09:32 +0100
Reed, a 17m vertical delta loop (no a lazy loop) is what I'm talking about,
and you need only about 20 ft. of width for it.  It takes up less space than
a dipole.  The point is at the top of the single pole and the horizontal
wire is at the bottom.  The feedpoint is 1/4 wavelength down either leg from
the point.  Use a quarter wavelength matching stub of RG-59 or RG-11.  The
50 Ohms the rest of the way.

Here is a picture of my 40m vertical delta loop:
http://www.dj0ip.de/my-favorite-antennas/my-favorite-40m/
Just scale it down to size for 17m.
The exact length of the sides and horizontal wire are not critical, but the
sides must be at least 1/4 wavelength long.

You'll maybe notice that the quarter wavelength of wire above the feedpoint
on my 40m loop looks just a little long.
It is longer than a calculated quarter wavelength if when using a dipole
formula (468/f).  That's because there is no "End Effect" present in a loop.
Use 500 instead of 468 (or "250" for a quarter wavelength) when calculating
where to place the feedpoint.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)