Re: [TenTec] OT: K9YC on Vertical or Horizontal / Heights

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: K9YC on Vertical or Horizontal / Heights
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 21:13:42 -0700
Correct, Jim. The FAA radars use circular polarization to attenuate weather
returns.

The WSR-88D radars used  by the NWS originally used linear horizontal
polarization because raindrops are essentially hamburger shaped. These radars
now also include vertical polarization because the two, together, yield
information about the hydrometeors.

Apologies, this way OT.

Kim N5OP

"People that make music together cannot be enemies, at least as long as the
music lasts." -- Paul Hindemith