Re: [TenTec] The IF tap and panadapter

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The IF tap and panadapter
From: Edward A Feustel <efeustel@hughes.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 15:59:25 -0500
On 12/23/2014 12:00 PM, Katz Ajamas wrote:
Here you will find a description of the second receiver/pan-adapter I am
thinking of adding to the Eagle. http://www.afedri-sdr.com select the
"net-sdr". It has 80MHz sample rate and 12 bit. Maximum bandwidth that can
be displayed at one time is 1850kHz so a good chunk of 10 or 6 can be seen
at once. It's small enough and low power enough to attach to the Eagle.

I'm still looking at how well it it can be made to work with CW skimmer. It
does not have input bandpass filters. It's about $270 including ship.

An option is to use the Afedri standalone with some filtering and add in
inexpensive sound card based pan-adapter to the eagle. One possibility is
the softrock lite. $25 with shipping and 9MHz crystal. It will need a
buffer and will benefit from addition of a bandpass filter on the input.
Here it is:
http://fivedash.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=5&zenid=ceb61be7e6e89eaaadedf754bef7c861

All this is fun but the priority right now is assembling a quiet power
supply. The MFJ 4230MVP is just too noisy on 160/80. MFJ swapped a new one
and it's a little quieter but still noisy enough to blot out weak signals.
I have a 18V CT transformer and will be ordering some filter caps today.

73 for a Merry Christmas!
-Bob ah7i/w4

Bob,
You might want to consider the SDR-4 (http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/sdr-4.htm) which is more expensive, but alone or combined with their upconverter could meet your general coverage needs as well for a very very long time.
73,
Ed, N5EI