Re: [TenTec] How to Choose an SDR RX for the Pan-Adapter?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How to Choose an SDR RX for the Pan-Adapter?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 17:12:35 -0800
On Sat,12/27/2014 1:24 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
So I don't want to spend a lot of money on a faster computer which will
later be used to run AALog once or twice per week, plus 2 or 3 contests per
year.

Hi Rick,

For about ten years, I've been quite happy with off-lease T4x-series Thinkpads running XP Pro with all the updates. For most of that time, they did everything I needed, including some VERY CPU and RAM demanding scientific modeling software for sound systems. But the software world does not stand still, and every year or so software becomes that much more demanding of resources to do what we think it used to do. A couple of years ago, I maxxed out my T4x machines and one T61 with 2GB. Memory is cheap. Even then, one of the T4x machines was close to full CPU loading running Skimmer with only the bandwidth of the built-in sound card, and doing nothing else!

Attempting to give the shack the best of these, I made the T61 (dual-core, 2 GHz, 2GB) my shack computer, and dedicated it to logging during contests. In some recent major contests (including CQWWCW), the T61 bogged down with the spotting load, and CW got a bit slow (and this is with WinKey). On advice from the N1MM guys and a few others, I brought the RAM up to 4GB (although XP Pro can address only about 3GB of that) and replaced the drive with an SSD (Solid State Drive). It's only been running a week, for RAC and Stew Perry, no cluster permitted for either contest, so no verdict on success or failure.

But computers are now a commodity, you can buy (or build) a lot for not a lot of money. Don't be shy about asking your younger computer geek friends for advice. I do. They tell me that Thinkpads are the best built of the consumer laptops, and that the Thinkpad badged stuff is better than the other Lenovo boxes.

73, Jim K9YC