[TenTec] Antenna help

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Antenna help
From: Curron <kb3drw@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 13:50:37 -0500

Need some help folks...

I would like to get some input on building an 80 meter sky loop
antenna that I will use on 80 and other bands with an antenna tuner. I have
some nice tall pine trees to run the corners to and I plan on joining the loop
to the house with 450 ohm ladder line. Just under the edge of the house I will
install a balun and bring it into the house with low loss coax. Please make any
comments or offer any advice you can. I am hoping to learn from your
experiences. Some questions I have are:

- What kind of wire should I use for the
loop antenna

- What type of rope that will hold up to
the UV and time (so much just falls apart these days)

- What balun, 4:1, 1:1 ?

- Is 450 ohm feed ladder line the best to
use? This part will be about 80 feet long. Will this length be a problem?

- Has anyone ever had any issues using
delrin for the insulators? Is there a better?

- I am thinking about placing a screen door
spring on each corner to allow the trees to sway in the wind… anyone ever tried
that. Or should I just counter weight to opposing corners of the loop?

- How’s the best way to protect this
setup from lightning?

Thanks in advance for any help!

73