[TenTec] 4. Argonaut VI digital modes (phil-z)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] 4. Argonaut VI digital modes (phil-z)
From: Katz Ajamas <ajamas.rn@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 14:51:46 -0500
>    4. Argonaut VI digital modes (phil-z)
>

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 13:39:53 -0500
> From: phil-z <phil-z@comcast.net>
> To: tentec@contesting.com
> Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut VI digital modes
>

> I recently purchased a new Argonaut VI and have been using it for mostly
> CW and a few SSB QSO?s. I would like to try it on digital modes such as
> WSPR and JT-65HF. I am considering ordering a Ten-Tec 712 USB interface but
> since I?m thrifty like most hams I want to explore other options that
> owners are using with an Argonaut VI or Eagle. The pc I?ll be using is an
> HP laptop running Windows 7.
>
> ?
>
> Here are my other options:
>
> 1.???????I have a Signalink USB setup for Kenwood but could change jumpers
> and get the Signalink 8-pin DIN cable.
>
> 2.???????I have a Behringer 202 external USB soundcard and could wire the
> DIN connector that came with the rig to use with the Behringer RCA
> connectors.
>
> 3.???????Make cables to use the laptop soundcard.
>
> Also, does the VOX work well enough from the line input or do I need to
> use the PTT line or CAT to transmit.
>
> ?
>
> Any other comments on setting up digital modes on the Argo is appreciated.
>
> ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ?
>
> Phil N3ZP

Phil-

If you have stuff lying around, it's gonna be cheap and fast to make up a
cable. Last night I made up a cable for the Eagle. Took about 15 min. I
used the three circuit audio/video cable scrounged from a friends discarded
Tivo, clipped off the RCA connectors on one end, and soldered on a DIN
plug. Connected audio in and audio out. Since there was a 3rd circuit I
wired it up for PTT to use a straight key for CW.

I do not know about the VOX and will have to read the manual. I have not
looked at how the low data rate, take advantage of power*bandwidth stuff
handles keying. I've downloaded the DXlabs "winwarbler" and it appears to
handle keying through the USB(eagles command set).

I'll know more in a few days :-)

73,
-Bob ah7i/w4