Re: [TenTec] Omni-D troubleshooting

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni-D troubleshooting
From: Neil Martinsen-Burrell <neilmartinsenburrell@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 09:25:11 -0600
Do you know if the frequency drift is real or if it is only on the digital
display? That is, if you tune in a CW signal, does the audible frequency
change by 1-2 kHz along with that shown on the display?  Does the same
thing happen on 80 meters when the frequency is jumping?

The reason I ask is that your frequency problems could all be explained by
a problem with the frequency counter that runs the digital display. The
Omni D uses a fairly stable 5-5.5 MHz local oscillator that is then mixed
with band-specific crystals to produce the correct frequency. The displayed
frequency is measured separately from the oscillator and I have seen
anomalous frequency readings even though the oscillator is working
perfectly.

If you want another connection to wiggle, the jumper connecting the VFO IN
and VFO OUT jacks on the back of the radio can come loose and cause
problems.

Of course, Carl N4PY knows all of this much better than me, so I might be
way off base.

-Neil N0FN