[TenTec] Corsair 2 not stable on receive, 20 meters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair 2 not stable on receive, 20 meters
From: Katz Ajamas <ajamas.rn@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 13:31:32 -0500

> From: Dwight Orten <dwightorten@gmail.com>
>

> My I been working PSK with my old Corsair and I am starting to have trouble
> on 20 meters.  Watching the waterfall, the incoming signal drifts off and
> my software can,t decode it.  Sometimes it comes back, sometimes I have to
> chase the signal.  I don't know if it is doing the same on transmit.  The
> frequency readout is not showing any change when this happens.  On all
> other bands the waterfall lines are straight as an arrow and no trouble
> coping.  The PTO has never been rebuilt, but it seems to me if that was the
> problem it would be on all bands. Any thoughts, anyone?
> KM4FO Dwight

Dwight-

I don't know the Corsair but based on it's age... Perhaps component value
changes.

In some of my older tube gear it has led to poor stability of a heterodyne
xtal oscillator. You can check if you have another RX you can lay an small
antenna near to and tune to the freq of the heterodyne osc for 20m to check
stablity.

Maybe you are working a bunch of drifty guys on 20 ;-)

73,
-Bob
ah7i/w4