Re: [TenTec] [connect toa "AL 811 Amp."

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [connect toa "AL 811 Amp."
From: Hal via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 16:52:59 -0500
RICK,
OK,  I've checked out both rigs, following your instructions along with those
in the manuals.

With the Corsair - No grid readings at all.  checked the control board to see
if any wires were cut.
Didn't notice any. Checked grounding the center pin on the receiver end and yes
I heard the relay click in on the amp.
When I bought the set up, many years ago.  The ham had used the amp with the
corsair and operated CW.

Yes, I'm looking to use it mainly for CW.

This is my first attempt to use the amp.

When I connected the Paragon - I found it to work the relay ok.
But when I keyed it, with drive at zero, and mike gain at zero, the grid
current went off scale and the plate current went up past 600 ma.  where the
plate current should have been at 110 ma .    checked and rechecked, can't
figure out what is going wrong.

Both rigs work ok barefooted.  I have been using them right along with no
problems.
Oh, yes, I for testing purposes have the antenna into a dummy load, till I know
everything is working OK.
I checked the relay out put.  when I keyed the rig with drive at zero, yes, I
did hear the relay and the output showed the ground and center pin were common.

OK, now I tried it for one last time... and when I key the corsair, I got:
                the grid current    almost  90 ma
                the plate current, about 200 ma          too high.
I tried varying the drive on the corsair, no effect on the meters.
Tried varying the "Load " and "Plate" controls on the amp,   still no effect on
the meters.

so at least we are gaining a little.    But ???

over to you, Rick.

Hal       AA2ID

PS: thanks for your helps far.