Re: [TenTec] 252Mo supply

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 252Mo supply
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 11:19:16 +0100
Well I wasn't born this smart, Bill.
Guess how I learned!

Luckily it was on a 2m handy-talkie and not an hf transceiver.
I was using a borrowed P.S. at a portable QTH and its pass transistor blew.
I managed to fix the radio, but its rf preamp was damaged.  After that I
could not use it on an external antenna, only with its rubber duck antenna.
Otherwise it had too much intermodulation and everything was distorted.
It seemed just too difficult to get at the mos-fet to replace it.

After that, I always was careful about what kind of P.S. I used with any
rig.

If you don't know if your P.S. has over voltage protection (crowbar) or not,
FIND OUT.  CHECK IT.
It probably does, but the cost of finding out that it doesn't is just too
high to risk.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)