Re: [TenTec] Another Omni VI+ Mystery

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Another Omni VI+ Mystery
From: Wade Staggs <tvman1954@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 18:34:45 -0600
*Hello Jim,*
*                   My belief is that you have a problem on the Xtal Osc -
L.O. Mixer Board. The board # is 81595. This is on page 4-9 of the Service
Manual. And is almost the same exact circuit as the CW-T problem with your
previous Omni 6 opt. 3 ..... PIN Diodes are used to select the correct Band
Crystal. In this case we are talking about Y-4, which is an 24.5030 Mhz
Crystal. It is switched into circuit by D-12. The correct frequency is
trimmed by L-19, which differs from the Trimmer Capacitor used by the CW-T
Offset Circuit that we previously repaired for you. It was the PIN Diode at
fault in the repair of your other Omni 6 opt. 3 .... I would ask Ten Tec to
Change and Not Check, the Xtal Y-4 and the PIN Diode D-12. And if me were
doing the job, we would also re-solder Every Connection in that section and
change any related resistors and capacitors used in the Crystal Selection
and Oscillator Circuit for 30 Meters. Jim, you were a really understanding
Friend, when your Postal Money Order, where we sold your rig for you became
AWOL. And it took over 60 days to get it replaced. My buddy Jobe, is 200%
Happy with the New to him Omni 6 opt. 3 and has sold his very New and
Expensive Yaesu. If you have any troubles with an in warranty repair from
Ten Tec? Please feel free to call on me any time. I have found however that
Ten Tec is Legendary in the way service problems are handled. I would love
to work for them. I always say that Ten Tec's Service Department is Second
to None. Intermittent Problems are very hard to track down sometimes. Jim,
Even the Very Best have a problem slip past them sometimes. And an
Intermittent Problem is sometimes very hard to find. Please keep me posted.
*
                                                         *73 my Friend from
Wade/KJ4WS*