[TenTec] USB to serial converter questions

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] USB to serial converter questions
From: Peg Haese KB9LIE via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:07:51 +0000 (UTC)
Hi, I've never used a USB to serial converter but want to try one now. For the
Wisconsin QSO Party last Sunday, OM K9OT wanted to use his Orion with the N3FJP
contesting program and a small Thinkpad X40 laptop running XP SP3. His CW
interface has a serial connection for the laptop and has worked in the past.
However the latest 3.5 version of the N3FJP WQP program only supports com
ports, not serial, so he had to use an older version 2.0 of the program that I
downloaded. That worked okay in a pinch but he would like to try the new
version.

The Ten-Tec website carries a USB - Serial Converter Cable but says it doesn't
work with the Eagle, which we also have in the shack. Out of curiosity, is this
because the Eagle has a USB type B port rather than a type A? Would an A to B
adapter work? I am trying to think ahead here.

We are NOT looking for suggestions to use a different contesting program since
we already know of some. I just want to know if the TT converter can be made to
also work with the Eagle, or not. For $32 plus shipping, compared to much
cheaper FTDI ones also available online, it would be nice if it can do more
than one trick.

For the record, we both use a computer for contest logging but not for control
of the radio besides CW. I computer log all contacts in DX4WIN and Paul does
paper logging outside of contests. Those get entered in DX4WIN later for LOTW
upload.

I hope this all makes sense and isn't too long-winded.

73 de Peg KB9LIE in windy SW Wisconsin USA