Re: [TenTec] Centurion

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion
From: "mcelmer1" <mcelmer1@netecin.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 10:15:10 -0600
Barry,

Thanks for the solution.

Mike
W8TRN
----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry N1EU" <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 06:00

For single keying line method, you need to go into the Orion TX Menu and
disable the Keying Loop.

Connect Orion Amp Key output to Centurion PTT/VOX as Rick described.

Barry N1EU

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 5:06 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP <Rick@dj0ip.de> wrote:

Yes!

You are overlooking the fact that the ARB does absolutely nothing except
enable keying a device (amp) with a different voltage level than the keying
device (transceiver) can handle  AND  the amp and Orion do not have
different voltage levels.
THERE IS ZERO VALUE IN USING THE ARB!

What smoked?  The Centurion or the Orion?

The Orion can also key an amplifier using the traditional single keying
line
method.
It has no problem keying the centurion with a single line.

Simply connect that line to the PTT/VOX jack on the Centurion as shown in
figure 1-3 on page 1.6.
This should get it working for SSB.  BTW, the CONROL MODE switch of the
Centurion must be set in the PTT/VOX position for this to work.  AND if I
recall correctly, you also have to go into the menu in the Orion and tell
it
to use this mode.  See the manual on this.

To work CW, the Centurion manual (paragraph 1-2) describes the procedure
for
break in, but it involves using the TX enable keying circuit which I think is burned up. So that is not going to work. And the ARB certainly will be
of no help here!

In fact the ARB is USELESS for newer equipment.
You only need it for keying very old amps.

Unfortunately Ameritron/MFJ hypes the value of the ARB far beyond reality.
It has no means of addressing keying timing issues, which older devices
also
have.
So in reality, in cases where it is needed, it only handles half of the
job.

Of course the best solution is to repair what has burned up.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)