[TenTec] Super feedback on using Ten Tec Orion II with Yamaha CM-500/any

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Super feedback on using Ten Tec Orion II with Yamaha CM-500/any ideas about getting rid of RF pickup?
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 11:39:55 +0800
G’day

Many, many thanks to Barry N1EU, Rod W7ZRC, Jim K9YC, Floyd K8AC, James K8JHR
and Wade KJ4WS for the great information, advice and helping me to make sense
about what was happening with my Ten Tec Orion II and the bias/attenuator pad
that I was using with the CM-500 headphone.

Looking at the mic settings that most of you are using has meant I could make
sense of the settings I was needing to use with the bias/attentuator in order
to get the right amount of mic gain/ALC action/power output.  The 10dB pad on
the mic audio input meant I had to increase the H/W mic gain by about 7 – 10dB
above the default setting (0dB). Just increasing the front panel DSP MIC gain
wasn’t doing the job, even though the Orion ALC red light seemed to be
flickering nicely.

After (hopefully) getting the gain levels right and experimenting a bit more,
I’ve come to the conclusion that the major issue I’ve got now is RF getting
into the CM-500 electret element. Any ideas about ferrite beads/capacitive
decoupling types/values?

Thanks!!!!

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ