Re: [TenTec] Astron SS30 power supply leave on?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Astron SS30 power supply leave on?
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 18:52:14 -0500
All Astron supplies I, or my club have owned have had terrible quality control and really off the wall circuitry. I have had them act as lightning sinks on more than one occasion, either at the club station or at a friend ham's home. The off the wall circuit was using a bridge rectifier as a full wave rectifier, ie using two of the four diodes only.

I unplug my power supplies when the station is not in use. Comes from living overseas in intense thunderstorm, jungle areas. I have seen appliances hit twice in two years, on the same outlet!

The Astron series pass regulator chip is the first thing to fail, as if it was designed as a lightning fuse. I have diagnosed many Astron failures by simply asking "was this supply plugged into power and on during the recent storm"? The linear regulator IC is the first thing I bring out of the spare parts bin, if the answer is positive.

One of our club's failed Astrons was still emitting smoke from failed components on Monday noon after a weekend storm. That one was plugged into the AC line but turned off. The surge arced through the switch.

The quality of wiring and soldering is often suspect. Wires poked well past terminal points with excess wire out in space. Questionable solder
joints abound.

I always check an Astron with a good DC voltmeter to make sure it is putting out a regulated voltage. Another component known to fail are any MOVs included across the AC line connections. Those have been known to fail to the point of combustion.

I would never leave a power supply on 24/7 as the risk of fire in it is all too real. For a little while, an out of control DC supply can push some serious voltage and currents. I have seen it happen.

Nothing about an Astron says industrial grade to me. In fact, in TX, repeater owners will not put an Astron supply into a remote repeater site because of bad service histories with them.

As always you get what you pay for. They are lower priced, but serve satisfactorily if you are able to repair them and access them easily.

We have seen the parallel transistor schemes they use on the higher rated supplies fail by not sharing the current equally among the parallel power transistors. You have to match the transistors to each other to have such a scheme. The emitter resistors usually blow, one by one, as the remaining transistors try to share the demand for current.

I even bought another brand of power supply that had built in voltage metering, to give a quick check that I did have the voltage desired for my main rig.

I don't mean to be too harsh, but hard earned experience makes me more cautions of power sources now.

Stuart Rohre
K5KVH