Re: [TenTec] SSB and CW filters wanted

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SSB and CW filters wanted
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 08:52:25 +0200
Allen, Carl is correct.

You don't need really steep skirts and deep attenuation with the roofing
filter.
The roofing filter's job is to add just enough selectivity to prevent
overloading of the down-stream circuits.  The DSP filters on their own do
the job of providing the main selectivity and they do it quite well - far
better than the XTAL filters we were previously using for this job; assuming
their circuitry is not overloaded

In the old designs, the roofing filter had to assist with the overall
selectivity because the single XTAL filter in the downstream IF did not have
steep enough skirts nor enough ultimate attenuation.

Although good XTAL filters measured in the lab can show attenuation of up to
100dB, when inserted into a radio their ultimate attenuation typically falls
off to just 80 dB, due to blow-by.  Cascading XTAL filters (i.e., roofing +
IF) raises the ultimate attenuation to about 100 dB.

When the Orion came out, I discussed this with Jack Burchfield and he
assured me that adding more XTALS to the roofing filter did not bring any
additional benefit.  It just brings additional size, cost, attenuation and
points of possible failure.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)