Re: [TenTec] Open Wire Line - A CASE FOR OCFD

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Open Wire Line - A CASE FOR OCFD
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@frontier.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 12:53:28 -0500

I have been following this discussion with a great deal of interest. I have a small lot near the top of a river valley, and the front yard is heavily wooded. This wasn't much of a problem when I just worked VHF, because following the advice of K0MQS, I put up a Rohn 25 tower with 6 and 2 meter beams on top. I had a great time the last sunspot cycle on 6 and enjoyed 2 meters when I could keep the feedline operational.

HF, however is a lot more problematic. I don't have enough room for any sort of decent wire antenna. And, my tower cannot be guyed and is too close to the lot line to get away with even a small tribander. Fortunately, one of my old high school buddies donated a Hy-Gain trap vertical antenna to me while I was a starving graduate student. So, I am in a similar situation to a European, and also am stuck with a less than optimal antenna. I put the vertical up in my back yard, and it is obscured for about 200 degrees by my house, the hill, and my neighbors' houses. I eventually bought a DX engineering radial plate, and put down about 1500 feet of short radial wires, either 18 feet long or 24 feet long. The feedline is about a hundred feet of RG-213, mostly buried. I have lots of electrical noise thanks to the sardine like house spacing in my subdivision and the power lines running through an easement at the east side of my back yard.

What is amazing to me is how well this thing works out. I have worked DX with my Argonaut II, the Argonaut 515, and the Argonaut VI. My main rig alternates between a Corsair II and an Omni VII. I managed to work many of the W1AW/* stations with the 10 watts of the Argonaut VI, even on SSB with the Ten Tec RF speech clipper. The only territorial stations I missed were the ones in the Mariana Islands, but Hawaii on 75 meter SSB required the Corsair II and the speech clipper. The Mariana Islands were right in my noise level, and there was my house and the hill in the way. I am still wondering how I worked T32C with the Corsair II. I cannot see any sort of an unobstructed path in that direction. They came back to me once when I was using my Argonaut II on CW. But, that was not a valid contact. I hope to move up to my acreage in north central Wisconsin, where I can put up any antenna I might like, and can even put up HF beams! But, now I am staying here for family reasons, and making the best of it. So, with some ingenuity, one can have lots of fun with less than optimal antennas like the lowly trap vertical, even at QRP power levels.

As my Viking ancestor Hagar the Horrible once said, "Bad breath is better than no breath at all." The same thing goes for antennas.

73,

Steve WA9JML