Re: [TenTec] Dirty Transmitters - Flex and Yaesu

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Dirty Transmitters - Flex and Yaesu
From: Darrell Bellerive VE7IU <ve7iu@runbox.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 05:45:01 -0800
It took a very long time for Rob Sherwood's judgements to take hold and for real change to happen. The fact that some manufacturers are taking steps to improve the cleanliness of transmitters is encouraging. It will take time, but I believe we will see improvement across the board.

I applaud those who, like Rob Sherwood and Jim Brown K9YC, have taken the time to test and document the cleanliness of transmitters. There is great information available to those researching the purchase of a clean transmitter.

The information is quite technical, and there is more than one cause of a dirty transmitter. Not to take away from the great work that has been published, but I have wondered if a "dirty transmitter" or "worst polluter" list or, with a positive spin, a "cleanest transmitter list" would not help promote the idea. A single "score" type of list.

Look at how manufacturers now try to be ranked high on Rob's list of receivers. Perhaps the same for transmitters would help to accelerate the adoption of change. A simple list with a single overall score and then a link to a bit more detailed information. Many hams tend to like the technical side of things and take note of 20 dB less signal 2 kHz from the carrier, but having a single "score" might be a better means to an end.

Developing the score and the criteria for such a list would be more difficult to determine, and certainly in constant dispute, but some form of weighted formula combining issues such as IMD, phase noise, key clicks, etc., to determine the score would be required.

And big numbers tend to be perceived as more valued than small numbers, so make the theoretically cleanest transmitter possible have a score of 1000, and the theoretically dirtiest possible transmitter a score of 0.

It would take a very thick skinned individual to pick criteria, develop a formula for a single score, and publish the list. But I do think such a list would help motivate manufacturers and purchasers to make better choices.

73, Darrell VE7IU