[TenTec] OT: Kodak

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] OT: Kodak
From: stoskopf@tri.net
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 19:53:42 -0600 (CST)
Don't remember the reference, but as I recall:  One of the Kodak research
guys showed up at a planning meeting with a very early digital camera.
Was told to put it away as it would destroy their film business.  I bought
one first cameras they put out.  I took me 8 months after the announcement
to get them to take the order.  Somehow I got to talk to one of the
company guys and asked what the delay was.  They had a bunch in stock, but
couldn't figure out whether to release it to big box type stores or to
photo specialty stores.  8 months plus the early delay was the death
knell.  Think of the ink sales they could have had with all of the dye
technology they already had!  My son lives in Rochester NY and teaches
graphic design.  Sad to see all of the old factory space left by Kodak and
Xerox as well as the lost jobs.  Especially knowing that the 'suits' who
made the bad decisions were probably well retired with good pensions,
unless they depended upon company stock for retirement.

Back to radio and my crystal set.Oh yes, my Orion 1 died and no more of
the big processor chips available.  But there is lots of space in the
chassis and good schematics so changing it to a frame for HPSDR via
SDRStick is in the works.

N0UU