Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec 229A Tuner Value

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec 229A Tuner Value
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 18:05:18 -0800
I came up with that mod when I was tuning a bent sloper on 160 that had a
weird impedance that caused so much current through the stock caps that they
started smoking with 100 Watts.  You can tell when the little disk caps are
overheating...you set the tuner for a good SWR, then in key down, it starts
to drift upwards.  Then comes the smoke!  In the pictures on my website, if
you look really carefully, you can see where the smoke discolored the
chassis right behind the bandswitch.  With the Russian doorknobs, I could
run 1.5 kW into that sloper in a 160 contest and it was rock solid.

          Ron Castro
           N6IE
    www.N6IE.com

Member: