Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 158, Issue 28

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 158, Issue 28
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 20:21:06 -0600
Someone complained about the tuner topic.  Two guys posting emails on
a reflector that routinely wanders all over the place on anything
unrelated to Ten Tec.   You gotta laugh sometimes.

> Rob, that is all wonderful theory

You can call it "theory" for the rest of your life but it won't change
it or that I dealt entirely with FACTS.

> Honestly, when is the last time you have personally seen someone build a
> link coupled matchbox that worked more than 2 bands?

 Search Google images for "homebrew link coupled tuner" and get tons
of photos.  Surely you are able to figure that out.
By the way, KW Matchboxes are for sale.  They usually go for around
$300.  Look inside one.  You will NEVER find that quality in anything
manufactured in bulk today.  If anyone made one like it today, they'd
sell it for around $1500 to $2000.   For the folks who complain about
its alleged limited range?  Modify it.  Something hams are supposed to
do.

> I built mine in the late 80s and it worked 80 and 40m.
> You guys must have a lot better flea markets than we do.
> One could NEVER accumulate all the parts for a multi-band link coupled
> matchbox.

You don't go to just one hamfest.  There's also eBay.  and other
on-line sources.

> Perhaps you believe that if you can't build your own link-coupled matchbox,
> you should do nothing at all.  I don't.

Whatever gave you that idea?  I never implied anything of the sort.
In fact, I think I posted that there is no such thing as a single
do-all network.  If I didn't I should have.  Transmatches are like
antennas--the single do-all antenna and transmatch is a myth.

> Despite losses in baluns, you can still put out a great signal with a 1:1
> current balun in front of a big asymmetrical matchbox, when feeding into an
> openwire-fed dipole.

An asymmetrical network will cause currents on the line to be
unbalanced.  You will have feedline loss.  insert thermocouple amp
meters in the line, one on each side at the same point and read the
current.  You want to be at least 90% of what's on the other side.
The line and load will be relatively high Z usually; start out with a
1 amp meters and gradually increase power until you see a useable
reading.

> My philosophy here is one should strive to do the best he can.
> We don't all drive Cadillac's or Mercedes.

If you don't want to throw your money away on a "Cadillac or Mercedes"
price, then start building.

Okay,  I'm going to spend my time more productively.  The complainer
about the topic will be happy.

73

Rob
K5UJ