[TenTec] OT: SOTA: Updant on LNR LD-5

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OT: SOTA: Updant on LNR LD-5
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 17:20:59 +0100
I just spoke about 45 minutes on the phone, then SKYPE with one of the
engineers who designed this radio.

In a nut shell, "looks good."

I took a lot of notes, some of which I did not understand and perhaps I
noted something wrong.

He was talking fast.

In any case it sounded good to me.

More important, I WILL HAVE ONE HERE, SOON;

hopefully before my April 1st SOTA outing (remember "Fool on the Hill").

This will be much easier to lug up the mountain than my old Scout.

Some Data Points:

.        DDC / DSP 24 bit

.        Filter for each band (almost; a couple share 2 bands)

.        -45 dBc

.        2 differential paths (meaning 2x AD and 2x DA)

.        Stereo DSP

.        This enables eliminating almost all phase noise

.        Signal + Noise / Signal - Noise   =  Signal without noise

.        Usable with higher SWR (important!)  Folds back power rather than
shutting down altogether like the FT817 does.

.        Latency 48 ms !!!  (Vy good for SDR)

My expectation ("speculation"):  it may not be quite as good as a KX3 but
should be significantly better than all of the other QRP radios in the $500
class.

Sounds like this may be just what I was looking for.

I will test it's receiver compared to my Eagle, Scout, and FT-900.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP

(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)

73

Rick, DJ0IP