Re: [TenTec] SOTA RADIO

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SOTA RADIO
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 22:13:03 -0400
Rick:

Is there still that much SW broadcasting in Europe? I know that the BBC, Swiss Radio International, Radio Netherlands, and the Voice of Russia (Radio Moscow, when I was a kid) have all gone dark. Who is left? Deutsche Welle, maybe?

Well... You might have to just lug the Scout up the mountain. The Scout with a gel cell battery still weighs less than the MIL surplus HF packsets that the soldiers used to carry. I have run my Scout on a 7 Ah SLA battery, by reducing the power to 5W, though one can go higher. I usually run the Scout at 30 W, which is plenty for SSB. If low battery voltage is a concern, you can make up a pack with a 4 V and a 6 V SLA in series to make 14 V. Just a few ideas..

                 73,

                    Bob WB2VUF