[TenTec] OT: National Parks On The Air (was SOTA)

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OT: National Parks On The Air (was SOTA)
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 20:54:58 +0100
Portable operations is not limited to SOTA.
In fact currently the ARRL has an ongoing portable operations program going
on for the entire year.
There is lots of fun to be had on both ends of the QSO with these stations.

Ten-Tec has always had great products for this type of operation and with
the Argo6, still has one in its program.
But there are hundreds of Argonaut 505/509/515/II/&V still out there going
strong.
Add in the Argo and the Centuries.

I find it very much ON TOPIC to compare these to other, more modern rigs -
be it modern SDR technology or cheap Chinese imports.

I ran my first bicycle mobile in 1962 as a novice.
It was 80m CW. 3w.
My TX had a single tube and the RX was transistorized.
And I works lots of stations like that!

We've come a long ways since then.
Many here have had lots of experience and it is interesting to learn tips
from others.
Nobody has all the answers.

Battery drain is a very important point to understand and a lot of this
discussion has been about that.  And IMO the antenna much too often is
neglected or treated as a secondary point, when in fact, again, IMO, is the
number one most important thing to a successful portable operation.

Ten-Tec sold the YouKit for a couple of years.
I have one right now (since yesterday) on its way with Fedex, sent by
Vibroplex.
And all three people working for Vibroplex each worked 15 years or more for
Ten-Tec.
These are our people.

Jim's post on harmonics is Spot On!  People should not take that lightly.
As always there is a lot of expertise here on this reflector.

I'm a member of more than 10 groups but none come even close to having the
expertise I find here on this reflector.

I don't want to tell anyone else what to do but what I do when something
doesn't interest me is hit the delete key.  I don't try to spoil the other
people's fun or learning process.  It's not up to me to police the group.

I have 20+ years experience operating portable with the Argonaut.
I have one feather in my cap for winning first place overall in Europe in
Field Day QRP class back in the early 1990... running my Argonaut 509.
I'm interesting in finding out how all this new technology stacks up to my
trusted Argonaut.
I find the entire theme of SOTA (or NPOTA) SPOT-ON TOPIC!

SO, it's 2:1 as votes go.  (hi)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)