[TenTec] Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery
From: Reed <w4jz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 22:32:59 -0500
Steve, batteries have come a long way just as the Argonaut 515 has compared to the HW-7 & not to mention today's rigs. I got introduced to these batteries I believe around 2010. The gel-cells were so much improved over the wet cells, but the Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery is so much ahead in battery design than anything I have seen. Weight, size & holds the output voltage & amps to 10% of discharge. You have to charge them with a special charger, if the circuit is not built inside the protective cover or case, to balance the cells & charge to the proper voltage of each cell. They also charge up much faster than a gel-cell. You don't want to discharge them all the way as you can with a gel. Follow those guidelines and you got a very good battery for portable or emergency power that has a life of around 10 years. Price has come down too!

The gel-cell is still one to use for a battery backup system, but for portable the size, weight and holding the voltage and amps much longer is where this battery has the advantage over the gel. Big disadvantage is the price. They are not cheap!

Some of the Chinese ones you want to stay away from. I'm also not crazy about the lithium-ion polymer battery. Though some like them, these can be dangerous from what I have read and from those that experience this on other forms. The iron phosphate ones sold at Buddiepole & Bioennopower are reliable ones.

https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/12v-series-lifepo4-batteries

73,
Reed W4JZ