Re: [TenTec] [Ten Tec} Mike Element

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Ten Tec} Mike Element
From: Jim Allen <jim.allen@longhornband.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 13:48:52 -0500
Maybe we should arrange a vat of this stuff and arrange to have our radios
dipped in it, as that seems to be the cause of a large number, maybe a
majority, of the problems we see discussed.  Every now and then a part has
failed, not often, but these contact corrosion problems seem to be ubiquitous.

When I had what ended up being a $300 round trip to Sevierville, Paul told me
this was more common after the switch to some standard, RoHS or something like
that.

My DX-40, National receiver, Galaxy V, SB101, FT101 and Drake C-line radios and
every linear amplifier I have used never had a single problem, all the way back
to the Eisenhower Administration.  I do not recall ever hearing of one back
then either.

73 de W6OGC Jim Allen
Sent from my iPad

> On May 10, 2016, at 12:57, JAMES HANLON <knjhanlon@msn.com> wrote:
>
> Y'all,
>
> I worked on electrical connectors of all types for Bell Labs and for Sandia
> National Labs before I retired in 2003.  From my professional experience, I
> want to recommend a Connector "Lubricant" which will protect clean contacts
> from corrosion, both chemical corrosion and "fretting  corrosion" which
> occurs when vibration causes contacts to rub against each other on a
> microscopic scale and to pull out small pieces of contact material which then
> corrode - usually oxidize or sulfide - and then become non-conductive cinders
> that block the contacts open.  This occurs when contacts are subjected to
> vibration as they might be in an aircraft, an automobile, or a machine
> environment.  This material prevents oxidation or sulfurization by filling
> the interstices between the contacts with liquid lubricant which then blocks
> the ingress of gasses which carry the corrosive elements to the contact
> materials.  I would recommend it for use on those microphone element
> connectors and for PWB co
 nn