Re: [TenTec] OT: Question to the group

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Question to the group
From: Tim <tim@ke4ke.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 10:26:44 -0500
Hi,

Anyone want to compare the Johnson matchbox to a model 254?

Thanks,

Tim
KE4KE

On 07/18/2016 12:38 AM, rick@dj0ip.de wrote:
No, this balanced link matchbox was limited in its matching range and could
definitely NOT match just about anything.

Time and again we saw that at field day when using a Johnson Viking Matchbox
275w with two different openwire fed antennas.

Often we had to play with feedline lengths to get them to work on all bands,
but when I substituted my MFJ-974B for the Viking, we could get a good SWR on
all bands without having to adjust the feedline length.

The JVM was limited in matching range.

The downside is, the MJF has a lot more loss than the JVM.
So in each case we chose the lazy way out and simply used the MFJ.

The correct answer (and procedure) is to read the information on my web site
about the JVM and think about what I have written.  It will be apparent why the
JVM has limited matching range.

THEN follow my guidelines to modify your JVM and it will have the matching
range we need and THEN it becomes the best matchbox ever - because then it
becomes an ANNECKE - which is the best matchbox ever made.

Cheers!
Rick, DJ0IP