Re: [TenTec] OT: Question to the group -tuner and dipoles

To: <n4py3@earthlink.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Question to the group -tuner and dipoles
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 13:47:07 +0200
THIS IS A TYPICAL EXAMPLE

Of how I warn people not to be too worried if you are unable to install the
textbook perfect "best practice" as Darrell and Jim are describing here.

Of course they are 100% correct with their recommendation of how to do it
right and of course the signal degrades when you for one reason or another
don't do that, but that doesn't mean your signal goes to hell in a hand
basket as some might assume here.

Due to neighborhood restrictions, my 80m OCF dipole is just 12m (40 ft.
high) at its feedpoint and the ends are about 30 ft. high.  This is just
over 1/8 wavelength on 80m - a far cry from the 130 ft. it should be for
optimum performance.

And although I am surrounded by high mountains on 3 sides, in the CQWW DX
contests for several years running, I worked an awful lot of DX.

Generally I was on the air for about 30 hours in the contest, worked all 6
contest bands and lots of countries on all bands.
On 80m with this low dipole:

2012 CW:  60 countries
2013 CW:  56 countries
2014 CW:  36 countries (in about 2 hours on 80m)

Sure the countries are not far away here in Europe.
My point is, you can work an awful lot with an antenna that is a lot less
than perfect.

Of course we should always strive to build our antennas as best we can, but
don't let a lousy QTH discourage you from trying something a lot less than
perfect.  Remember "Everything Works."

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)