Re: [TenTec] Entry level for boys

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Entry level for boys
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 21:18:43 +0200
I built my crystal radio in the 50's too.
Lived near Chicago and used to listen to WLS at night.
Moved to Germany in 1959.

Almost built a regenerative RX but then a ham talked me into buying an AR3
kit from Heathkit for $30.
Was a much better RX.  Built a 6L6 TX in an upside down cake pan as my very
first TX.
Min. age for a ham ticket in Germany was 18.  I was 11.  I was sure itchin'
to get on the air, but of course I would never do anything like that, would
I?  ;-)

We moved back to Oklahoma in 1962 and I passed my novice within a few weeks.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)