Re: [TenTec] IP3 vs. DR3 (IMD) confusion

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] IP3 vs. DR3 (IMD) confusion
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 17:56:28 +0200
Hi Duane,

40 years ago when all of this begin, we did focus on IP3.
We didn't know better.

Some time in the 90s the focus switched to DR3 which, as you say, is far
more meaningful because we can shove IP3 up or down with attenuation or
amplification.

The JA companies continue to promote IP3 figures.

However on SDR radios, DR3 is not a meaningful number either.
I guess if it were low, it would be meaningful, but just because it's high,
that does not mean the receiver is a great receiver.

The list ranked by DR3 as it currently is, is causing a lot of confusion.
Too many people believe that Rob intended this to be a ranking of ultimate
performance for each radio, which it is not.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)