Re: [TenTec] OT: IP3 and Receiver Performance

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: IP3 and Receiver Performance
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 22:33:01 +0200
Thanks for that post, Greg.

Only Rob's last couple of years of Contest University (CTU) presentations are
archived as videos.
For previous years, just go to my web site and you will find all of his
presentations.
For some there is even audio accompanying the presentation.

Greg, your "Me thinks" are correct for many radios but by far not for all.
There are still some pretty crappy radios being offered, especially in the
under $1K category.

Adam's presentation is probably above the comprehension level of most of us.
When he addresses the problems of "dither", I would suggest that most OM have
no idea what dither is.  Indeed it was an outstanding presentation but not for
everyone.
(Notice I said "us" - me included).

Predistortion: forget it.  Not going to happen for a long time to come.  Even
Flex has not yet committed to a time frame for introducing it, though they are
finally beginning to hint at the will to do it.  And just because new radios
have it, that won't stop the millions of older radios out there that will
remain on the bands for a long time to come.
But YES, that would be a wonderful world.  Imagine a world without wars!

Our problem is not lack of predistortion in our transmitters.  Our problem is,
99% of our hams don't even understand distortion.  This whole concept of 3rd
order IMD is VERY misleading.

The spec says, when we blow two tones into an SSB mic and look at the signal
strength of the 3rd order IMD of our transmitted signal, it has to be down by
30 dB.  Sounds good, and would be if not for the several "gotchas".

First of all, NOBODY blows just two tones into their mic.  Our speech content
has thousands of tones creating thousands of harmonics (and harmonic distortion
products) that are emitted from our transmitters.  Besides the 3rd order
products, we NEED to be looking at ALL products... 4th, 5th, 9th, 11th
products, etc.  Normally a good transmitter (i.e. the Collins 32S3) generates
the two tones and successive harmonic products, with each successive weaker
than its predecessor.  Would be nice.  Unfortunately several transmitters are
being sold today that have higher order IMD products higher than their lower
order IMD products.  This is disasterous and creates an incredibly wide signal,
ESPECIALLY when driving a linear amp.  The worst of all (as measured by Rob
Sherwood) is the YAESU FT-450.  And even worse, Yaesu advertises that radio as
having a clean transmitter with MOSfet transistors.  Garbage; it's the worst in
the industry.  SHAME ON YAESU!

Which brings us to the next problem... bipolar vs. MOSfet amps.  3rd order IMD
is measured into a 50 Ohm purely resistive dummy load.  Fact is, bipolar
transistors do not like reactive loads.  As soon as the load (antenna) is not
purely 50 Ohm resistive, distortion products increase.  Since we have acquired
many new bands, the trend to multi-band antennas is huge...(I'm a contributor
to that, I make and sell such antennas).  Unfortunately these will never be 50
Ohms resistive.  They are always reactive.  But even a dipole is only purely
resistive for a very narrow frequency span.  Our antennas are causing IMD!
This can be minimized by always using a matchbox between our transistorized
radios and the antenna.

But wait, every matchbox has loss, so what I am suggesting may result in us
having only 90w into the antenna, rather than the full 100w.  Yes, but it will
be 90 clean watts.  The QSO partner 3 skips around the globe will never hear
the difference but the hams in your local area as well as those in the first
skip zone may very well hear the negative results if we don't do that.

Finally, broadband phase noise is a problem with many of today's transmitters.
This is not so much a problem at distant stations but can be significant in our
local vicinity (within 5 miles or so).  There are transmitters, even very
expensive transceivers such as the IC-7600 which will disturb every ham within
a 5 mile radius when they transmit, regardless of band they are operating on.
Not picking on that particular radio. Most of today's radios are that way!

Until "WE THE PEOPLE" begin to speak out against these easily avoidable
atrocities, our bands will never improve.

Last time I posted a message with this content, I was immediately chastised by
one OM who said as long as the transceiver OEMs are selling product within the
specs (3rd order IMD), we should not complain.

I say, he is not part of the problem, he IS the problem.  It is guys like that
who hold our hobby back.

This email probably won't make me many friends.  But I don't need lots of
friends.  I need a few GOOD friends who will work with me to help improve the
environment around us... the air that we breath and the RF signal we send into
the ether.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)