Re: [TenTec] OT: Dynamic range of SDR Radios with 16-bit DAC

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Dynamic range of SDR Radios with 16-bit DAC
From: Gary J FollettDukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 10:07:13 -0500
EXCELLENT!

Thank you a fine metaphor.

My experience with BIN data acquisition comes mostly from Energy Dispersive X
Ray analysis.

Each photon of X-rays produces electron hole pairs in direct proportion to
their photon energy. Assuming only one event happens during any given sample
period, one accumulates bins at each energy of photons the were emitted from
the sample. The photon energy associated with a particular bin tells you what
element is present and the number of photons in that bin bin tells you how much
of that element is present.

Over time, a really high signal to noise is accomplished. Of course, this is
only true for analytical signals that can be held constant for a time long
enough for the spectrum to accumulate.

Gary