Re: [TenTec] About Ten Tech

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] About Ten Tech
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 18:39:36 -0500
I have also been wondering a bit about the many posts seemingly centered on the products of Ten Tec's competitors. Not that I have anything against Icoms, as I have a nice IC-202 QRP 2 meter rig, or against Yaesus, because I have a battered but functioning FT-221R 2 meter multi-mode, or even against Kenwood, as I inherited a very nice TS-440 SAT. I have no interest whatsoever in Flex or other SDR rigs. I have never seen an Elecraft radio, but I own 2 of their transverters and a noise generator. The transverters are being replaced by superior DEMI units that are on order.

I really hope that Mike can repair the damage and start producing Ten Tec rigs and accessories again. I would like to purchase at least 2 more Argonaut VI radios, and several more of the RF speech clippers. I might even buy an Eagle, too. I bought an Omni VII during the sale, and used it for several months. I finally realized that my Corsair II and external VFO is much easier for me to use, and the only drawback of the much older radio is its slightly less accurate frequency readout. The Omni has been given to a new home. I greatly enjoy my Argonaut 515 and my Argonaut II. I have purchased items that will most likely to be needed to keep them running well for many more years.

I am not in any sense a competitive contest operator, and do some occasional DXing. My QTH does not lend itself to the antenna farm necessary to be a serious DXer, and as I can no longer copy code at 40+ WPM, I tend to just hand out points on the HF SSB DX contests. I have been more active on VHF contests of late.

I can understand Mike's dilemma. Ten Tec used to produce both entry level and contest capable rigs. But, with the limited resources available, how to best approach a really fragmented and crowded ham radio market? Especially with the economy mired in recession.

While I have found the divergent forays into SDR technology, and what Ten Tec really ought to build discussions interesting, only the latter really would seem to approach what this reflector is intended to promote. And, since none of us are company insiders, such speculations tend to lack some necessary substance.

My $0.02 worth, Your Mileage May Vary...

Steve WA9JML