Re: [TenTec] Power Connectors

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Power Connectors
From: art N4UC <n4uc@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 22:32:22 +0000
Funny thing about all that..

Several years ago I noticed on my O-565 that the white housing surrounding the
+ pin in the Molex-style cable connector had turned brown from the heat over
the years, which was odd since I operate mostly cw and never any RTTY or other
high duty cycle modes. So I replaced it with power poles according to the
procedure outlined by several folks and it worked fine. Later I had a need to
send the radio in for repair for an unrelated problem and when I got it back,
my power pole mod had been un-done and returned to the original configuration
with a new white Molex connector. The reason given was that they couldn't
warrant any work done on a "modified" radio.

Not wanting to repeat the un-soldering process again, I left it alone and went
back to the original connector design (new connector on the cable). Now after a
few years of very little use, I notice the same discoloration on the + pin
again. So now I'm in the process of repeating the mod again back to power poles
on a pigtail (I don't like rigid "things" mounted to a PC board protruding thru
a cabinet).

I'm not sure I understand yet why its just the + lead that's having the heat
problem, but it won't anymore! It made me wonder if some of the DC current was
finding another path back to the power supply besides the power connector, but
that's highly unlikely.

73, Art N4UC