Re: [TenTec] Amplifiers

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Amplifiers
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 17:32:07 +0100
Well done Ron.  Congratulations to you.  I'm happy for you.

Ten-Tec amps have always worked seamlessly with their own transceivers and
that was their biggest strength, but they were never especially good.
Nothing really made them better than the other makes.  Please don't
misunderstand that.  I do not imply here that they were inferior...but if
you didn't own a Ten-Tec transceiver, there was no particular advantage in
buying a Ten-Tec amp.

Before I ever answer anyone asking for advice on what to buy, I shoot back
with a bunch of questions.
Otherwise I'm just wasting my breath and his/her time.

QUESTIONS:

1)  What price range are you looking in?

2)  Do you work CW?  If so, do you want full BK?

3)  Are you looking for a tube amp or transistorized amp?

Be careful; although you get a lot more bang for the buck with tube amps,
good tubes are becoming VERY difficult to source.  There are several
relatively "cheap in price" used amplifiers on the market that "look like a
bargain" but if you have to replace the tubes, it may cost you more money
than you paid for the amp.  In some cases the tubes aren't even available
and your only course is a complicated modification to enable using different
tubes.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)