[TenTec] Swap Yaesu FL2100B plus 4 for Tentec Centaur

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Swap Yaesu FL2100B plus 4 for Tentec Centaur
From: Katz Ajamas <ajamas.rn@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 21:18:01 -0500
I traded for a  Yaesu FL2100B today. It looks pretty good for it's age. The
FL2100B uses 2 x 572B tubes and has a 50Hz rated power transformer. It will
run a solid 600W out all day long. It is NOT QSK and it does NOT cover
160m. Two features that I want in an amp. I'd like to swap it plus some
cash for a Centaur. OK if Centaur does not have 10m or if tubes are bad.

This FL2100B has not been used for a while so I plan to reform the caps and
cook the Anodes a bit. If caps are leaky or tubes(old Cetron brand) don't
make full output, I'll replace them.

The FL2100(B) has some notoriety over the low bias voltage not cutting off
some brands of tube. There are two easy fixes. One adds a cap and diode to
make a voltage doubler in the bias circuit. The other adds a relay to lift
the center tap of the filament winding to float the Cathode. I'll be happy
to make the doubler mod(see copy of FL2100b manual at BAMA), add a 'glitch'
resistor', put some protection on the meters, and add a transistor buffer
for use with newer rigs. I'll do this if desired as part of a swap.