Re: [TenTec] Matching impedance on Argonaut 509 microphone

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Matching impedance on Argonaut 509 microphone
From: James Boswell <jboswell@nrao.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 14:51:29 -0700
On 12/1/2016 1:08 PM, Stuart Rohre wrote:
The Argonaut 509 bridged the shift from true high impedance mics to
moderate impedance if memory serves.

The best thing is to first try it.  There should be a mic gain pot
somewhere in the rig in case you need more amplitude, but it may work
just fine, if the mike is low impedance and is only loaded by the "high
impedance" mike input.  It is not such a big deal in a lot of audio to
match exactly, the impedance of two devices.  For example a speaker of 8
ohms will work on 4 ohm output, or you could parallel two 8 ohm speakers
to create a 4 ohm match.

Way back in my Tech/General days, mike inputs to AM rigs were 50,000
ohms or so.

Later, the 600 ohm mike inputs became common.
Some computer type mics don't bother telling you what impedance they
are. Go figure!

Stuart Rohre
K5KVH
Hello,
The Shure 4xx series of mic work great on the Argosy, Omni-D, Delta, and Triton radios. I hope this helps you out.

        73'S  KA5SIW

        James Boswell