Re: [TenTec] OMNII Problem

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNII Problem
From: Wade Staggs <tvman1954@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 03:45:58 -0600
*Hello Rick,*
*                   Your radio has a board inside called the Band Pass
Filter Board. All Multi Band Rigs have one. This board has Relays which
switch multiple Coils, Capacitors and such stuff in and out of circuit. The
purpose of these boards is to clean up Harmonics and/or Spurious Emissions,
before the signal gets to the Antenna. I would guess that you have a Bad
Relay or something wrong with the switching circuit on this Band Pass
Board. When the SWR Meter inside the radio reads high, even when you have a
Known Good coax jumper and a Known Good dummy load. There isn't much else
inside the rig, that will cause this type of problem. Be very careful!
Keying wattage into that much SWR, can Kill your Final Transistors. Sounds
like your Omni needs to go home for a visit to the doctor.*
*                 73 *

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Rick via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an OMNI VII issue.
>
> When I boot up the rig, it initially shows a 1.1 to 1 swr but quickly goes
> to 9.1.1 to 1 and won't transmit or tune up with the auto tuner or a big
> manual tuner.
>
> I've used two AC power supplies and a battery.  Two antennas and a dummy
> load.  Same result. Sometimes the rig shows a high current message.
>
> Have done partial and full resets to no avail.
>
> Ideas?
>
> It always worked fine before this.
>
> Maybe the high current protecting rectifier is bad?
>
> 73s,
>
> Rick
> WO8L

*Living one day at a time with Jesus as my Savior. But, still having Fun.*