Re: [TenTec] Need Orion I Firmware

To: <n4py3@earthlink.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Need Orion I Firmware
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 16:14:13 +0100
RIGHT Carl!

I remember now.
We were discussing this a year ago.
I used to know what the "real" cause of the problem was but have long since
forgotton exactly what it was.  It was a noisy power spike but I can't find
my documentation on it anymore.

There is a low frequency spike proceeding the RF each time it keys.  It is a
very short spike but enough to trigger the ARC FAULT.

This spike can be eliminated by inserting a broadcast band LPF between the
radio and the amplifier.

The real cure was to insert a choke in a strategic location but I have
forgotten exactly where.  I'm sure I will stumble upon it again someday,
somewhere.

I actually still have my LPF, so I will give it a try.

Darn, it's beginning to look like I have forgotten more than I ever knew.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)