Re: [TenTec] Corsair 560 further notes on the rig

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair 560 further notes on the rig
From: C Brosh <akgnomad@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 16:53:33 -0500
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 14:22:36 -0500
From: C Brosh <akgnomad@gmail.com>
To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair 560 further notes on the rig

 I had asked previously about the Corsair with low output that varied from
band to band, form a low of basically 0 up to a high of 25 watts. I decided
to tear into the beast and found some blown electrolytic caps in the PA
section, like maybe a polarity reversal had happened or a severe
overvoltage, however it seems to me that it either event had taken place
the entire radio would be well and truly bricked. We do have the other
functions though, so not sure exactly how that happened.
Also, when I powered it on the first time everything seemed fine. The
second time the radio came on and then faded away...and the fuse had blown.
Same power supply, same wiring. Replaced the fuse and the radio came back
without indcident.
 It wasn't too hard to replace those caps, and will put it back together
when I get a chance. Assuming the worst, that the PA's are toast, would a
PA section from another Ten Tec, like an older Omni, possibly work? I don't
know it I want to spend the money on new PA's for this radio. I might
spring for some garlic and holy water.

Thanks Chris KL5A

Message: 5