Re: [TenTec] EAGLE II Features: (?)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] EAGLE II Features: (?)
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 12:19:42 -0600
Several years ago, I was driving to a conference in Charleston, South Carolina, and while preparing for the trip realized that I could stop in Sevierville and visit the Factory. So, I did. I was turned loose in the ham shack, and played around with an Omni VII, and an Eagle. I was most impressed with the Eagle. It was just what my Argonaut II could have had as a descendant. During the Fire Sale, I bought an Omni VII, and it took about 2 months for the novelty to wear off, and for the Corsair II to relegate it to the shelf. I found a home for it with a friend who just got his license. I thought that the Omni VII would be easier to use because it is bigger than the Eagle. Along the way, I bought an Argonaut VI, and had a lot of fun with it. I suspect that the receiver in the Argo VI is better than the one in the Omni VII. When I worked T32C on 40 meter CW, I had the Corsair II on the 250 Hz filter, and the audio filter at max. Some lid was QRMing them very close by, but with the passband tuning, I was able to make the contact. The Corsair II is very easy to use, now that I know its quirks. But, there is no way that it would now be considered by most hams even for general use, much less contesting.

I would also like a somewhat bigger Eagle along the lines that Rick suggests. Something else that perhaps Mike Dishop and his team might contemplate is using the front panel functions of the Argonaut II/Delta II. This layout has almost all the functionality of an Omni V or VI, and would help eliminate some of the use of menus. It is really too bad that Zach Lau could not figure out how to use a variable bandpass filter with passband tuning, and so wrecked the chances for these radios with his QST review. I can't blame him all that much because I have had mine since about 1992 and still find out ways of how to use it better.

But, Ten Tec needs cash flow to develop any new products, and so I am willing to buy a current Eagle, and even another Argonaut VI in the meantime. I think the idea of having some to sell at Dayton is a great idea, and will help to counter all the sour grapes spread on the various forums. Fixing the hangtime problem in some newly released firmware might also help. But, I have ordered the parts for 3 interfaces since Rick gave me a useful schematic to deal with this issue.

73,

Steve WA9JML