[TenTec] Fast new product?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Fast new product?
From: gunnerjuulnyholm@me.com
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 22:56:44 +0100
I have used my trusty OMNI VI+ (and a 238 tuner and  422 Centurion)  1999-2014,
and my O2 with RX366 and AT since then. My license is now 60 years old, so I
need no new radio.
However, when thinking of which features I wouldn’t be without in my O2 I would
want them all, because I use them all. But in these times that is maybe not the
proper question. The O2 is a really high-end radio, and expensive. Its price
does not appeal to the majority of hams. IMO the proper question now is: What
is right balance between price level, performance and production probability
for the hamvention?

If I were to specify the requirements to a ham not aiming for top contests, but
mostly cosy ragchewing and the occasional DX, I think that I would go for an
Argonaut VII, i.e. an Argonaut VI + 100 w PA. - I would get two VFO settings,
DSP filtering, front end selectivity, QSK, adequate and manageable frontplate
and display, IOW a top class RX and TX. price level: 1100 $? - The
modifications would be simple and few, zero developments and no new software.

Even the Argonaut VI has a top class RX on level with the EAGLE, and the 10 w
is sufficient for more than 80% of the daily QSOs. A 100w PA can be had from fx
Elecraft, or the 418 could get a renaissance, as many QRP rigs are popping up.
Either can be supplemented by  PA and/or tuner or Panoramics if the 9 MHz IF is
made available. Should my O2 die prematurely the centurion could easily boast
the 10w from an Argonaut to 200w, and I wouldn’t use my radio any less.

For an Argonaut VIII a USB port for CAT is required.

73, and good luck
Gunner, OZ6NF