Re: [TenTec] Running a Century 21 on external 12V power

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Running a Century 21 on external 12V power
From: Josh Gibbs <gibbsjj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 22:59:53 -0700
Thanks for the very informative reply Gary!

I will try shielding the transformer. I don't have any nickel foil, but
I've got some thin steel plate! Seems like that should have some effect on
the noise if the problem is magnetic in nature. If it works, I will order
some nickel foil.

I will also try putting the external supply (a small switcher) close to the
various boards inside and see if I can find the 'antenna' that way.

The radio very well may be performing the way Ten-Tec intended. The
swamping resistor helps. It may not be possible to make it as quiet as it
is running on an external PSU, but I will keep trying.

I do still intend to get one of those circuit breakers. I'd like to have
the option of external 12V without worrying about killing the finals.

-Josh WA7FPV