Re: [TenTec] [] Running a Century 21 on external 12V power

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [] Running a Century 21 on external 12V power
From: Dukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 22:10:03 -0500
Ten Tec once stated directly in their ads that they used Aluminum because it
was lighter. I remember this because many hams at the time complained to Ten
ten that TenTec radios felt sort of cheap since they were so light. The Ten Tec
comment was a way to defuse that concern. There was never any technical reason
for using Aluminum. The use of Aluminum goes all the way back to the Power
Mite, their first product.

Drake also used Aluminum for the main chassis and the separators for the PC
boards as well. This was a departure for them since all previous chassis were
either steel or the blasted Copper plated steel.

As I said previously, in agreement with Carter and others, mag shielding MUST
be magnetic material. Mumetal is nice because its permeability at low
frequencies is 30,000 times that of cold rolled steel!

At higher frequencies (>1 GHz) this advantage drops to unity so not so good at
UHF. Too bad because I have an application in which I need good magnetic
shielding at 10 GHz.

Gary

W0DVN