[TenTec] Omni VI Rubbery crud on PCB

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Rubbery crud on PCB
From: Ken Brown <kenradiobrown@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 13:32:44 -1000
My Omni VI had some dark brown rubbery stuff on the XTAL osc and BFO
printed circuit boards, It is sort of like rubber cement and reminds me of
similar stuff I found in Kenwood TS-440s. There is also blue green copper
corrosion on the edges of the rubbery crud along with with white powdery
stuff. I think the powdery stuff may be mold or fungus. I have spent
several hours on each board trying to remove it as best I can.

It is not on every board, and not on any of the boards in an older Omni VI.
I am wondering if it is something that was put there by the Ten-Tec
factory, or if some previous owner did it? I guess it's purpose may be to
dampen possible microphonics in the oscillators. It definitely caused some
undesirable, unintended consequences in a humid climate.

Has anyone else seen this in an Omni VI?

DE Ken N6KB