Re: [TenTec] DZkit HF Transceiver

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] DZkit HF Transceiver
From: <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 18:15:48 +0100
Well Kim, reading eham is, like almost always, a total joke.
Guys giving it a 5 are hyping the fact that it has Collins mechanical filters.
These are basically "CR@P" by today's standards.

They are 1960's technology, and were great for the money, considering the cost
of crystal filters back then.
Crystal filters are much better, have steeper slopes, deeper ultimate
attenuation, etc.

Modern DSP filters are as much better than crystal filters than crystal filters
were better than mechanical filters.

Using filters with wide flanks will always sound better than using filters with
steep flanks.

These guys should try the radios in a big contest like CQWW DX.
I'm sure they will sing a different song after that.

I am not down on the DZ radio, I am just stating what I believe to be facts.
I think it is great that this radio kit is offered and if I had the time and
spare change, I would enjoy building one.
It would be interesting to learn how its front-end performs here in Europe.
I also like the ergonomics of the DZ.
And for a non-contester or rag chewer, it may be the bee's knees.
But the price is over the top.

I would dearly love to try one.  Have wanted to for over 10 years, but
unfortunately that is price prohibitive for me.

73
Rick, DJ0IP