Re: [TenTec] TCXO Omni VI

To: wes Bolin <k5apl41@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TCXO Omni VI
From: Dukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 21:16:27 -0600
The TCXO is not really a benefit for the Omni 5.

The Omni 5 uses a free-running crystal oscillator for the LO mixing with the
digital 5.0 to 5.5 MHz VFO to produce the first mixer premix. As such, the
operating frequency of the Omni 5 can, and often does,  differ by a few KHz
from the displayed frequency, and that difference is generally band-dependent.

The Omni 6 uses a simple PLL to lock the crystal oscillators to the precision
reference so that, at least in theory, the transmitted and received frequency
is exactly correct as shown on the display. This feature required that the
reference oscillator be dead on so thus the interest in a TCXO to replace the
original oven stabilized reference in early Omni 6 radios. Those early oven
stabilized oscillators were only “dead on” after the ovens warmed  up and
stabilized. When the ovens inevitably failed, the reference was always off.

The reference oscillator in the Omni 5 is only used by the 5.0 to 5.5 MHz VFO
and by the CPU. Thus the crystal oscillators will not be corrected by addition
of the TCXO.

Gary

PS: Now you know why I am not on Twitter. 140 characters is NOT sufficient for
me!