Re: [TenTec] 238 "Tuner" Balun

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 238 "Tuner" Balun
From: <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 11:46:31 +0100
GM Steve,

The problem that we are fighting is common mode current . . . which rises when
the antenna is closer to the ground (electrically).

In all of the tests that I have run on dipoles and OCFD antennas, the lower
bands, being electrically closer to the ground, have significantly more problem
with CMC than the higher bands.
Therefore I chose to run with #43 when 80m is required.

I agree the point of using bifilar.
I'm just to lazy to make it, and Teflon coax is readily available here.

The Model 1161 looks nice and the price is right, but I would prefer to have 2
or 3 more turns on it for the reason stated above.
I am also uncomfortable with its 5kW rating!

However for OM who cannot or do not want to home-brew, it is a good alternative.

73,
Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)