Re: [TenTec] Omni VI plus to computer hookup

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI plus to computer hookup
From: Joe Papworth via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 20:54:20 -0500
"All's well that ends well"

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Goudie <jagoudie@comcast.net>
To: Ten-Tec List <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Thu, Jan 25, 2018 02:40 PM

Hello…

Reporting back…  I purchased one of the Icom CI-V USB programming cables.
Using the 1/8” serial port on the Omni VI, it worked perfectly on the second
try…

For the sake of humility and humor, I’ll explain.  The first time I tried the
cable, I could tell it was doing something, but not what I wanted.   After a
couple tries I realized that it was keying the transmitter on and off in rhythm
with the 2-second polling rate.  Curious.

I discovered I had messed up in two ways… eventually:

1.  As I shut everything down in frustration… about midnight, I noticed the
label on the plastic bag that the cable came in.  Lo and behold, I needed to
install drivers on the computer!  Who would think!? :-)

2.  Then, the next morning, with drivers installed, I went to plug the cable
back into the rig, by touch, not by sight.  I was feeling around and discovered
that the first time I had plugged it into the PTT jack!  No wonder…

Now… it works.  Sheepishly yours,
Jim  AF3Z

Jim Goudie   —  <a href="mailto:jagoudie@comcast.net";>jagoudie@comcast.net</a>
610 Kraybill Church Rd